Bulgarian residence for EU citizens
How do I become a resident of Bulgaria?
EU citizens can apply for Bulgarian residence and Bulgarian ID card by having a proof of accommodation and sufficient funds to support their stay in Bulgaria. This is administrative service provided by the Migration Directorate. The residence application is lodged at the local Migration Office in the district where the accommodation is located.
Time to obtain Bulgarian residence
EU citizens are granted Bulgarian residence within 3 working days after the application is received. If you choose our services, you will lodge your application on Day 1, you will be photographed on Day 2, and you will receive your Bulgarian residency card on Day 3. If you cannot stay for longer than 2 working days in Bulgaria, you can grant a power of attorney to our law firm and we will collect the residency card on your behalf and dispatch to your address abroad with DHL Courier services.
Family reunification for non-EU family members of EU citizens
Once you have been granted Bulgarian residency for EU citizens you can apply for family reunification for your non-EU family members. The non-EU family members have to enter Bulgaria on a valid national Bulgarian C visa or a valid Schengen visa.
The non-EU family member has to apply in person with the local Migration Office. The Migration Office grants a three months temporary residency card while the family reunification application is considered. The family reunification application will be considered within 3–5 working days.
Our law firm can assist you with the preparation of a sponsor letter for your family members who intend to apply for a Bulgarian C visa. When applying for a C visa with the nearest Bulgarian embassy or general consulate, the non-EU citizen should provide evidence of his/her personal/business circumstances abroad. This evidence can be in the form of the following:
- Deeds – showing that you have property in your home country is a good way of proving that you don’t intend to remain in Bulgaria after the expiration of your visa.
- School certificates – if you have children, certificates that your children are enrolled in primary, secondary or high school is good.
- Marriage certificate.
Family reunification for unmarried cohabiting couples
Since the begining of 2019 cohabiting couples can no longer apply for family reunification in Bulgaria. To be eligible for family reunficiation, you have to be married and provide a legalized marriage certificate.
Who is considered a family member?
- Children below 18 years of age
Fees required to obtain Bulgarian residence
|Bulgarian residence for EU citizens||750 - 1,500 €|
|Bulgarian residence for a whole EU family ||1,250 - 2,500 €|
|Family reunification for non-EU citizens||750 €|
|Family reunification of persons below 18 years old||250 €|
Advantages of applying for family reunification in Bulgaria
- Family members are not required to provide a CBR check.
- Renting or buying a property in Bulgaria is more affordable than in any other EU member state.
- Legal fees in Bulgaria are much lesser than that of immigration lawyers in the United Kingdom or in any other EU member state.
- Bulgarian migration authorities are trying to attract an educated labour force from non-EU member states and therefore, there is a relaxed immigration policy on non-EU citizens.
What do you get when you are granted Bulgarian residence?
- The Bulgarian residence is a precondtion to qualify for tax residency status in Bulgaria.
- You can apply for family reunification for your non-EU family members.
- The Bulgarian residency card will guarantee hassle-free visits to Bulgaria and other EU countries for British citizens after Brexit.
- The Bulgarian ID card is a precondition to exchange your driving license for a Bulgarian driving licence.
- Holding a Bulgarian ID card, you don’t need your passport or national ID card to register a company in Bulgaria.
- Holding a Bulgarian ID card, you can register your car in Bulgaria and start saving taxes.
For more details about obtaining Bulgarian residence, please feel free to contact us.